Saturday 17 May 2014

Book Review - I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella


  
 Title: I've Got Your Number


Author: Sophie Kinsella


Publication Date: 16th February 2012


Publisher: Bantam Press


Source: Purchased


Audience/Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance


Rating: 3.5 ☆ Out of 5 ☆
(It was more of a 7.5 stars actually)




Summary from Goodreads: 
I've lost it. :( The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive!! :)

A couple of glasses of bubbly with the girls at a charity do and Poppy's life has gone into meltdown. Not only has she lost her engagement ring, but in the panic that followed, she's lost her phone too. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number with the hotel staff. It was meant to be!

Except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn't agree. He wants his phone back, and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, phone messages and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents, can things get any more tangled?


Review:
As can be seen from what I've been reading recently, I've been in the contemporary mood. I've actually had this book for quite a while but I just never got around to reading it - something which I'm not sure why.

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella is a one of a kind finding love when you least expect it kind of book. It was such a fun read and I feel that this book just zoomed by for me. Sophie Kinsella is such a talented writer that I'm just like what... It's over? 

So firstly, the main character Poppy is a real sweetheart, with troubles of course. She is engaged to man named Magnus, who she adores and adores her. Basically his family isn't very thrilled about Magnus marrying Poppy.

The premise of this book is that Poppy loses her engagement ring which is an heirloom from Magnus' family. While she is looking (hunting actually) for the ring, her phone gets stolen and she just happens to find another phone in the garbabe. Now, this is where Sam-who-is-hot-as-hell-and-he-knows-it comes in.

Sam is a businessman who gets all his calls/texts/emails through this phone number, which originally belonged to his PR who dumped the phone and for goodness sake go read the book. Eventually everything leads to Poppy learns important lessons about not needing to be nice to everyone and also judging people, from Sam, to Magnus, to her 'friends' and just everyone around her because not everyone is how they actually are.

I wished there was a sequel because I want to know what happens to Sam and Poppy but I understand that this book is complete as it is.

The only thing I didn't like about this book were that there were moments that the book could be a little flat. Like there wasn't as much adventure in the scenes. Just talking and talking and more talking. However, I understand that this is towards the adult genre instead of a young adult book so it is different.

I would recommend this book to all of Sophie's fans and also everyone out there who want to try out some contemporary. This isn't as mushy and sweet as some other YA ones so it will be more suitable for those who prefer a less YA kind of contemporary romance. So do go buy it, borrow it and basically read it. Sophie Kinsella IS a legend so I'm sure this won't disappoint you either :) (1)

*Footnote
GO READ THE BOOK!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you as soon as I can! Promise:)