Tuesday 25 March 2014

Book Review - Cress by Marissa Meyer


Title: 
Cress
Author: 
Marissa Meyer
Series: 
The Lunar Chronicles (5 STARS FOR THIS SERIES)
Sequel:
Winter (Coming in 2015)
Marissa Meyers Official Website:
The Lunar Chronicles Official Website:


Summary: 
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

Review:
(Spoiler Alert)
Marissa Meyer is brilliant. 
Literally.
The Lunar Chronicles is her debut but they are so SO good. This is one of my favourite series of all time. I honestly cannot wait for her next series - which according to goodreads will be an Alice in Wonderland theme kind of book? I'm not too sure. But honestly I'm just excited.

Now here's what's good about the series as a whole. EVERYTHING. The world. OMigosh I LOVE the world. I'm not a huge sci-fi person but I loved this world. I loved the start, how Kai meets Cinder, and most of all how Marissa Meyer snuck all the actual fairytale moments into the book without anyone noticing it. Or else she twists it into something even better then what had been which is a really genius and risky thing to do but something she did pretty well in all three of her books, something which I applaud her for!

Also let me just say, ahem, CinderKaiScarletWolfCressThorne and eventually WinterJacin. I swear I love all of them. In a series, I usually don't ship more than 2 couples if all of them are main characters but in this series. ALL of them deserve to be shipped. (I will do a relationship Analysis maybe some time soon!)

Okay so on to just CRESS. In this book, we officially get introduced to the darling Cress, who I think is the love interest for the all wonderful and interesting Captain Thorne. (He's in a tie with Prince oops Emperor Kai on who's my favourite male character in the book. I love captain thorne because he's just funny and seems playful but underneath, he's just so dependable. However I love Kai because, well he's Kai. And I love his seriousness and passion for Cinder and his sarcastic side and well just everything. - decisionsdecisions i'll eventually make a post about all the characters once and for all as an overview but that will be after Winter is out.) 

So anyways, back to Cress and Thorne. Cress is just this adorable little thing who has a crush on Thorne before they even meet (you'll find out why when you read the book - its adorable! She's adorable) So basically, you finally get to see ALL the main characters in this book which is great. However, they will get separated in the book where you will see perspectives of all the characters. This once again shows Marissa Meyer's great talent in writing as  she has to write different perspectives but intwine all their journeys eventually. At the same time, she cannot forget/get confused about the character's personality, other character's personality and all their surroundings, timeframes, and so on and so forth. In fact, I think that although she had more trouble writing this book, this may be her best book out of the three as of now. So really, go and pick up that book, and READ it!

Okay.
Peace out:D

Rating: 
5 Stars Out of 5 Stars
This whole series deserves 5 stars! Really do go check it out!

CrAcKpOt ThEoRiEs: 
(Spoiler Alert)
Time for the all wonderful Crackpot Theories segment! Here we discuss my weird most likely unlikely ideas and I put questions down which I don't know what will happen but we can discuss! <3

1. Winter becomes Queen in the end instead of Cinder?
Personally I don't like this idea because I feel then the goal of the 4 books would just be crushed. A goal is very important for all stories, especially fantasy fiction kind of books, so if Winter becomes Queen because Cinder doesn't want to be and Cinder returns to Earth just like that I won't like it as much... Unless, there is a really really really good reason. And omigosh please don't give that cliché about Cinder becoming the ambassador or something of both planets?!!!!!

2. Marissa Meyer has been using Tangled as inspiration for Cress?
I'm not too sure about this, but I think this would be cool. Some parts do seem similar? I think. Like how Thorne (Cress) and Flynn Rider (Tangled) are like both not serious but when it comes to serious stuff, they are dependable and stuff. And it takes a while for them to fall in love with Cress/Rapunzel. Also, if you have watched Tangled, the Disney Movie, it will seem like Cress has a similar personality to Rapunzel in Tangled. So I don't know but it would be really cool to me if this was like true.

3. What happened to Scarlet?
Okay so, Scarlet didn't have many scenes. But when she appeared oh hell yeah. However, I really want to know what happened to her hand, what happened to her in more detail, why was she with Winter and stuff. Any ideas? 
4. Who exactly is Winter? What's her personality really like? Why does Jacin like her?
Winter. Currently, when I think of Winter, I think of someone who's alittle weird. A little psycho? I'm not sure. But if Jacin likes her she can't be that bad? How will she play a part in the last book though. I mean Marissa Meyer is a genius so I know she will think of great things and I'm really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you as soon as I can! Promise:)