Monday 20 October 2014

Book Review - Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods by Rick Riordan



Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods
By: Rick Riordan
Series:  Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Publication Date: 14th August 2014
Publisher: Puffin (US)
Page Count: 445 (paperback)
Genres: Middle Grade, Adventure, Greek Mythology
Source: Purchased

Rating: 7.5
"If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on...

Who could tell the origin stories of the gods of Olympus better than a modern-day demigod?

In this whirlwind tour of Greek mythology, Percy Jackson gives his personal take on the gods and goddesses of ancient Greece - and reveals the truth about how they came to rule the world.

'Explosive' - Big Issue
'Action-packed' - Telegraph


Rick Riordan is an award-winning mystery writer. He lives in Boston with his wife and two sons. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Rick's first novel featuring the heroic young demigod, was the overall winner of the Red House Children's Book Award in 2006 and is now a blockbuster film franchise, starring Logan Lerman.

I absolutely adored this book. When I first heard about it, I was like, Oh gosh, ANOTHER companion Rick? Really? But then I read it. And yeah I loved it.

What I am Loving:
Percy's narration
I absolutely adore that this is written in Percy's perspective. I was pretty devastated about the end of the Heroes of Olympus. Thank goodness for this book. It was the 'one last chance for me read a book from Percy's perspective'... Before I realised that would be another AKA Percy Jackson and the Greek Heroes or something along that line. Anyways.

Percy was just so funny. His humor, his snark comments, all the moments just. I love how it was narrated by him because we could hear his jokes, the way he felt about the gods and all that. Just, much love for him. It was so easy to read it because after reading 10 books about Percy, it was like he was such a close friend and this was like a reunion of a full Percy book and just I loved it.

What I am Unsure Of:
I guess I didn't have much I didn't like because this was just Percy's narration of stories told already... I just didn't feel that it was perfect because there wasn't actually a story/plot or anything so it wasn't as exciting/interesting as a usual Percy Jackson story. However, compared to many other retellings of the Greek myths, this was way more interesting :D

Final Verdict:
If you loved the Percy Jackson series, seriously go read it. It probably won't be as interesting if you aren't in love with Percy already. However, if you want to read some retellings with an interesting touch, this is one book which will definitely be the one:)

*All pictures and graphics do not belong to me. I take no credit at any of it.
** All opinions are mine and are in no way influenced by anyone or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you as soon as I can! Promise:)